Wednesday, March 24, 2010

See Oakland Run

I jogged to the dentist's office and back yesterday.  His office is two blocks away from my house.  Boy was I tired.  And the day before that, I ran on the treadmill at the Oakland YMCA for 1 minute, then walked 1 minute, ran 1 minute, walked 1 minute...for about 40 minutes (so that's 20 minutes in all...LOL).  Today, I raced my husband down the street for about half a block.  I won't say who won.  But it wasn't me.  I was relieved when I went to exercise class last night and learned that the instructor wasn't going to make us run around the indoor track like he made us do last week.  Yeesh.  I just get tired thinking about it.
As you might be able to tell, I'm not a runner.  My knees refuse to cooperate and my lungs are friends with my knees.  But I am pleased as punch that Oakland (after a 25 year hiatus) will be bringing back the Oakland Marathon...uh...Running Festival this coming weekend (March 27 & 28, 2010).  In fact, I think it's pretty exciting stuff!  I even had the nerve to consider running in it when I first heard about it as a way to get fit, but I changed my mind.  I even imagined that someone would notice this little block and the course would make its way down 17th Street (and not 19th).  Ha!  I think I'll surprise my friend Tovi and volunteer at her water stop (it's at mile 6) for a few hours.  Maybe I'll even jog there. 
For more info about the Oakland Running Festival, click here.

No comments: