Thursday, September 24, 2009

Trip to France (#3)

I'm not really sure where to start. But I will start by saying that I found out why there was that stinky smell I referred to near our hotel in New York. My husband and I were killing time before our flight and decided to take the A train (isn't that song? LOL) to Williamsburg (the "new SOHO" in Brooklyn) for lunch and we passed The New York Department of Sanitation (hah!) about a block away from the hotel. Pee-yew!

The flight to Paris was actually pretty comfortable. IcelandAir is similar to JetBlue in that you get your very own personal video screen and more leg room. Even the seats went back a little further than normal. The flight attendants reminded me of flight attendants from back in the day with their really cute suits and hats and welcoming smiles. I've noticed that it's only when I fly internationally that I see this type of customer service and sharp outfits. I also learned how to says "Thanks" in Icelandic from my seatmate. It's "Takk." (Don't laugh; I like learning stuff.)

Ohhh...and this is interesting. There was a woman that mistakenly sat in my row. As she was moving, she told me that this was her first flight since she was in THAT PLANE that landed in the Hudson River. OMG. She was brave. Oh yeah, and she told me she had loads of Xanax, so she slept for the flight. LOL. Whatever works.

We were an hour or so early, so we walked around the airport in Iceland, which I might add, is really very sleek and modern looking (including the bathroom). Yes, I did get my husband a cap that says "Iceland" on it...LOL...and I saw an extremely unique wool dress kinda looking thing, but when I did the money conversion, it cost too much considering I hadn't even made it to France yet. I did see a cute warm up jacket that I might get on the way back though.

Okay, so we're here in Paris and I'm telling you, I feel right at home. I'm a bonified Francophile; always have been, always will be. And boy oh boy...you should see this apartment. I must've done something good.

(Above) View from our 8th floor penthouse apartment in Le Marais


First of all, the gentleman that owns it is some big time (former) actor and (current) director in both Belgium and France. Since we rented his apartment from an agency, we didn't think we would meet the owner, but he was here when we arrived. Interesting guy. The apartment is big (by French standards) although the elevator only holds 3 people. 3 small people. (I was instantly claustraphobic.) I won't go in to any detail about the apartment (I'll just take pictures and bring them back), but there is a terrace and....we're in a penthouse apartment that overlooks the city. This is like some stuff from the movies. I'm telling you; I must've done something good.

Of course, we woke up in the middle of the night (jet lag) bright eyed and bushy tailed as everyone else in the City slept. So what else could we do except drink champagne (me) and red wine (James) and eat Camembert cheese and baguette and smile a lot. I'm still smiling.

We couldn't get a WiFi connection at first, but today when we woke up (5pm local time), James hooked us up to a phone line and - voila! - here I am typing to you. =)

I checked my email...and just like the last time I was away (in Vegas)...I got an email from Oprah's Angel Network telling me they published another story I wrote about being bullied (and name calling). Do you believe it??!?!? It's actually the preface to a book I'm writing called Talking White: 14 Ways to Cope with Thoughtless Remarks for kids that need a way to cope with being bullied for "talking White." I don't know what to say. Looks like you have to be close to 50 years old for your dreams to start coming true. (Check out Oprah's Angel Network (registration required) and type - OneBrownGirl - in the search box to see my stories.)

Back to Paris.

So James is currently out wandering the streets of Paris while I sit here in this fun apartment returning emails and pretending I'm actually French. LOL. Oh yeah, and I'm sipping champagne with Cassis (I expect a hot flash at any minute)...and the Cassis is less than $5 here and more than $20 in the US.

In the hour or so we were waiting to get in to this apartment, we roamed the neighborhood (we're in the Marais for those of you that have been here) and I see stores that look like mine (okay, my store looks like theirs) and one of the stores I went in had 3 items that I have sold in my store. Because it is so expensive for Americans to shop here, European buyers go to the States to shop. And since there are European designers in the States, it's cheaper for everyone. Crazy, isn't it?

I could go on and on...but I should save something for later...n'est-ce pas?

A bientôt!
Your local shop girl,
Tracey

No comments: