Monday, September 28, 2009

Trip to France (#5)

Today was a work day; and the first day since we've been here that I got out before 2pm. Jet lag is no joke. When I said I was over it, I was mistaken. LOL. My husband and I still both wake up in the middle of the night; just for less time now.

Last night, we strolled. Paris is that kind of place. The French have a word for a person who strolls: Le flâneur. That would be me. (Hopefully, I can stroll off a few pounds.)

Everything is pretty quiet on Sundays and Mondays. That's one thing I have always liked about it here. 4 day work weeks and long vacations; 6 weeks on the average. Yep. 6 weeks. Normally busy streets in Paris empty out in July and August, when most locals take their annual holiday. Shops and businesses are often deserted for a month, sometimes longer. Now you know where I get it from. LOL.

There is a Jewish synagogue in the same block I'm in and because it is Yom Kippur, there is a lot of activity. I grew up in a Jewish community in Los Angeles, so it's not unique to me. What IS unique, however, is that there are 5 policemen providing security. I asked my husband why and he said the French (generally speaking) do not like Jewish people. Who knew?
Speaking of Jewish people, when we were in New York, we walked through a big neighborhood that was made up entirely of Orthodox Jews. I found it fascinating that the women had shaved heads and wore wigs. Culture and religion never cease to amaze me.

Back to Paris.

So I think I mentioned I found a wholesale area by accident last week and that's where I went today. I didn't get tons of stuff because of the exchange rate, but I did manage to find some cute things I think you'll like. If not, I'll wear everything. LOL. I still have some really nice pieces coming in this Fall/Winter that I ordered from MAGIC last month; some of which have that same European edge. Plus, I don't have to worry about exchange rates, VATs, duty fees, etc. Sigh.

I hope everyone is well. =)

A bientôt!
Your local shop girl,
Tracey

No comments: