Thursday, October 1, 2009

Trip to France (#6)

On Tuesday night, James and I went to The Avenue des Champs-Élysées. We tend to get out and stroll at night because we are up until the wee hours of the morning (it's almost 1am now!). Anyway, I'm not much of a picture taker, but I wish I had my camera because Louis Vuitton had some shoes in their window that were extremely avant garde. Couture can be very unusual sometimes. I did buy myself a unique white blouse that was overpriced, but hey, I'm on vacay, right?
Last night, we took the Metro to a part of France that is just east of Paris called La Defense. Neither James nor I had ever been there and were really surprised when we came up from the train station to see really modern and sleek skyscrapers with colorful neon and unique sculptures. It's a business district with lots of people that were just getting off of work...and of course, hanging out at the cafes that were all around. But La Defense is nothing like (old) Paris in the least. I'm glad we went.
We went to La Defense to hear a new friend of mine sing (that's her below). Interesting story: I sent out an email to a group of entertainment girls in LA I belong to and she was the only one that responded. Ends up she is here in Paris staying...AROUND THE CORNER from where I'm staying. Isn't that nuts? Out of all the places in Paris, I can see her place out of my bedroom window. Anyway, we exchanged a bunch of emails and she's a singer, so we went to hear her sing. She is actually from Alameda and lives in LA; do you believe it? The world is crazy small.
I picked up the rest of my stuff from the garment district today. I didn't have enough hands to bring it all back with me the day I purchased it. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a duffle bag (or two) to get this stuff home. Shipping it is WAY too much. I hope they don't ding me for the extra baggage.
On Friday, I'm going to a tradeshow that is directly connected to all of the stuff going on at Paris Fashion Week. I bought some kind of Premiere Class Pass, so we'll see what that gets me. I'm pretty excited; I've never been to Fashion Week before.
On Saturday, we leave our apartment to go to the country, where we will stay with James' family. We're renting a car. I love his family so much; they are my family too. =) We'll stop at the Champagne region and go to Versailles as well. They're only 30 minutes outside of Paris.
Even though this is a holiday, I've been getting alot of work done, setting up meetings, putting irons in the fire, etc. and I'm pleased to say that my camp program (CampCaribe) is coming along quiet nicely. It didn't hurt that Oprah's Angel Network has published my stories. I'm extremely happy about this. I'm going to Hawaii in November (to Kona, specifically) to check out the campgrounds there too for another project: CampHawaii. After that, I'm staying put until February. I've been giving it some thought and really don't think I'm going to put together a Shopping Trip to Paris after all. I don't think I'm cut out to be a tour guide. I'm too laid back when I travel. But the next time I go, I'll be sure to let you know in case you want to come along. I will give you a map, teach you enough French to get you food and to the bathroom, and help you find a hotel. After that, you're on your own. I hope that doesn't sound mean. I certainly don't mean it that way. I'm sure there's something I'm missing telling you, but I'll remember and tell you later. It's time for me to get off the computer. Besides, my champagne glass is empty. LOL.

A bientôt!
Your local shop girl,
Tracey

No comments: