Sunday, November 15, 2009

Landing on the Moon

I've been to Oahu and Maui, but I've never been to The Big Island before now.  It's quite unusual in that some parts of the island are tropical (I was at a waterfall today and it was like a rainforest); some parts of it look like the desert; and some parts look like the moon (not that I've been there or anything).  The "moon look" is because the entire island is made up of black lava rock that is millions of years old.  This is wicked cool.
Here are some highlights from the trip so far:
1.  I found some handmade Hawaiian soap made here in Kona and tracked down the guy that makes it.  You won't believe this, but he's been living here for 5 years and when I asked him where he came from, he told me Montclair!  LOL.  Anyway, in 2003 he started coming back and forth between the Bay Area and Kona and would plant a cacoa tree everytime he came.  Now he has a farm and makes 100% Kona coffee, handmade soap and kukui oil.  James and I are going to tour his farm tomorrow...and yes, I'm going to be bringing back some soap for the store.  I will probably take orders for the coffee and the kukui oil (the most amazing non-greasy Hawaiian oil for dry skin conditions like eczema, etc.) and will report here on the blog after the tour.
2.  The lizards here are so green (see above) that I thought they were rubber when I first saw them.  Then one ran across my foot.
3.  I found dragonfruit (below) and starfruit (left) and am waiting for the starfruit to ripen.  It smells like perfume.
4.  I signed up for a dolphin encounter for Thursday, our last day here.  Ooooo, I'm soooo excited!
5.  We went to Akaka State Park today to see the waterfalls.  Because we were on another side of the island, it rained all day, but it was still humid.  It's strange to perspire while it's raining.  I took some video of the waterfalls.  We'll see how it came out; I'm a novice.
6.  I'm bummed that no one serves authentic Hawaiian food other than when you're at a luau. 
7.  I went inside a little boutique yesterday and saw a dress I sell in my store for $79 and they were selling it for $240.  This is why I get frustrated when someone comes in the store and wants to haggle about prices.  I can't believe people are marking stuff up that high.  I take that back.  I see it all of the time...
8.  James and I went to the Hilton Waikaloa yesterday and saw some of the most beautiful artwork at this stunning resort.  One such piece was a life size bronze of some warriors in an ancient carriage (see below).  Absolutely amazing.
9.  If you didn't know this about me, I have an obsession with and collect Brown mermaids (they aren't easy to find).  When I was a mere babe, I wanted to be a mermaid.  I still do sometimes.  (See below.)
10.  Is it silly to comment on the beautiful sunsets?
11.  I'm wearing flip flops and shorts right now.  (Don't be mad.)  I'm 10000% clear that I won't be wearing them when I get back to the Bay.
Thanks for listening...and I'll chat with you soon!





No comments: