Friday, November 13, 2009

Who Is This By?


Are you a brand snob?  I'm not.  Don't get me wrong.  I have some foo-foo la-la stuff in my closet and in the store, but I choose quality and style over popular brands and inflated price tags any day of the week.  Especially for the store.  Which of course leads me to my little story.  LOL.
I have had a dozen or so women over the past couple of years walk into the store, pick up something they like, and ask me "Who is this by?"  Sigh.  "It's not by a mainstream designer," I always say.  "But you can bet that it's a quality piece and you won't find it in Macy's," I usually finish up with a smile.  (I always smile.)  And then one of two things happens:  She either leaves with her nose up in the air (on her way to Macy's?) or she eyeballs the item for a second time and buys it.  These are The Brand Snobs, and you gotta love 'em.
I also have a Brand Snob customer (who will remain nameless) that stops by from time to time and tosses around lightweight insults.  "You know, I have a St. John knit and that [pointing at something in the store] is a decent imitation." or "I would never really buy any of these throw-aways, but they sure are cute."  Did she just call my inventory throw-aways?  LOL.  Wow.  In fact, when I got back from Paris, she didn't say anything at all about the inventory that you all bought up so quickly.  Hmmm.  I wonder what that was about?  Sometimes I wonder why she even comes into the store, but I think she likes to chat.  Oh yeah, and she just spent $300 on some of my throw-aways.  Go figure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing now. Because you choose quality and style over popular brands and inflated price tags is why your store is so successful! Judy