Thursday, November 26, 2009

Liar Liar Pants on Fire


If you don't know anything about me at all, you have to know that I will not lie to you.  I won't cross my fingers behind my back and tell you "Oh my goodness, that black jacket looks sooooo good on you," when in actuality, the black jacket makes you look washed out or doesn't fit just right.  It's not a good way for me to get repeat business or referrals.  Plus, lying is for losers.  Likewise, I won't cross my fingers behind my back and tell you that something doesn't look good on you when you look like a million bucks.  And that, my dear customers, is what I see happen in the store from time to time.  Like yesterday, for instance.
A friendly petite little woman came into the store with 2 of her co-workers raving about one of the jackets in the window that I brought back from Paris.  Before she tried it on, she said "If it fits and looks good, then it's mine."  Soooo, she tried it on...and it fit...and it looked adorable.  (Remember, I wouldn't lie to you.)  Before she even had a chance to look at herself in the mirror, one of her co-workers told her a littany of things: "It doesn't look right. You don't look good in that jacket. I don't really like that on you.  There's something I don't like about it, but I don't know what it is.  You need bigger boobs."  Deep sigh.  Is that what a friend does?  I asked the woman trying on the jacket if she liked it, but after being brow-beaten, she said she wasn't sure.  I don't like when that happens.  And not because I want a sale either, but because first and foremost, it isn't nice.  How about letting your co-worker look at herself in the mirror first and then give her your point of view without being rude?  Dang.  I'm not saying The Co-Worker/Friend (with a question mark) had to actually like the jacket because I did, but it seemed to me like she was just being a hater.  I've seen it before and I'm sure I'll see it again and maybe I'm just overreacting.  All I know is that it sure did rub me the wrong way.  And that's no lie.

No comments: