Saturday, October 24, 2009

Layaway Laughs


A pleasant and rather familiar-looking woman walked into the store this afternoon and said "You aren't going to believe this."  And boy, was she right.  She handed me her layaway receipt telling me that it was overdue and then asked if I still had the black dress with the this and the that.  "No maam," I responded nicely.  "Most things don't last in here for very long."  Before I had a chance to look at the receipt, I politely recited one of my more popular and frequent speeches:  "Layaways that are more than 30 days old are automatically put back on the floor and the deposit is forfeited as written on your receipt.  Unfortunately, I'm a small store and merchandise sitting in my stock room - as you can imagine - is kind of like cash sitting in my stock room.  In the future, if you need a few extra days, just give me a call and I can...."  Then I looked at the date on the receipt:  It read 12/5/08.  Ummmmm.  Is this a joke?  I know I didn't see Ashton Kutcher behind her, so I just knew I wasn't being punked.  Did she really just hand me a layaway receipt that was almost a year old?  Bwahahahahahaha.  Yagottabekiddingme.  Fast forward to 45 minutes later as I was packing up her new purchases and the three of us (there was another customer in the store) were cracking up laughing.  I told her that she must know that I was absolutely positively going to have to talk about her on my blog.  She told me she didn't blame me and we cracked up some more.  I absolutely love a customer with sense of humor and a sense of fairness.  What a fun(ny) way to end the work week...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Shop Girl - I absolutely love your writing style and how it's infused with humor and expressions of positive vibes. It's not everyone who can turn ordinary daily happenings into cheerful reading. It's obvious you love what you do and are gifted with expression. Looking forward to the next post. J