Thursday, October 8, 2009

Trip to France (#14)

Today was a day of firsts.

  • Today was the first time I had ever been to the Champagne region of France and visited the Reims Cathedral.  I cannot describe in words the beauty of this place.  Once inside, it took my breath away and made me cry.  The ceilings must have been at least 150 feet tall and the stained glass was mesmerizing.  It was also the first time our camera completely died on us when we were about to take the first breathtaking photo.  The image below is from the Internet.  It was not, however, the first time I cursed softly under my breath.  At least I was outside of the church...



  • Today was the first time I drank (the real) champagne in Champagne.  LOL.  Not sure if you knew this, but the Champagne region of France is actually the only place where true and bona fide champagne is produced.  Anything else you might get outside of France (including the US or even outside of the Champagne region) is actually a sparkling wine or a variation thereof.  The word "champagne" can only be used as an adjunct.  My husband told me this years ago...


  • Today was the first time I had a mini opera performed in front of me at a cafe (still in Champagne).  With no less of the drama and gestures you might see in a traditional opera house.  At first it was funny; and then it was kinda cool.  LOL.


  • Today was the first day I paid attention to the speed limit and tried to figure out kilometers vs. miles.  The posted speed limit on highway A4 was 130 kilometers, which is about 80mph.  The maximum speed limit on rural highways is 70 kilometers, which is about 45mph, although it seems faster in a small car.  This will be the last time I try to figure it out.


  • Today was also the first time I ever ate wild boar...and it was gooooood too.  It's more like beef than pork.  I was afraid I wasn't going to like it and was pleasantly surprised.  My Uncle Gino cooked it.  He hunted it and killed it too, but don't tell anyone.

Tonight is my last night in France and this is not the first time I wished I could stay.

1 comment:

Ori Ire said...

I'm really enjoying reading your post.