Sunday, October 4, 2009

Trip to France (#7)

Thursday, 2 October 2009
Wow. I don't even know where to start. I guess the beginning is good.
When I first planned this trip, I planned to go to THE wholesale area of Paris which is called Le Sentier. Of course, I told you already that I happened upon another wholesale area that I knew nothing about and was able to find some very cute stuff. Ummmm...but then I went to Le Sentier today. Man o man. I experienced a shortness of breath and needed to sit down and have a beer. Wow. Blocks and blocks and blocks of fab fashion; and not just any old fashion; but Parisian fashion. Sigh. I was in heaven.
I have shopped in Garment District of Los Angeles and found cute stuff. I have shopped in the Garment District of New York and found even cuter stuff. But man o man, nothing beats Paris. Wow (again). I mean, I have some wicked stuff in my closet from shopping for myself in Paris and Milan over the years, but to be in the Garment District is a WHOLE NOTHER MOTHER (can't remember where I heard that before - but it fits). I want to stay here forever. No joke.
So when we got off of the Metro at St. Denis, we went the wrong way at first. No biggie. But let me just say that there was an entirely different demographic than where we are staying. I asked my husband what was going on and what the ladies I saw were doing...and he's so doggone polite...he said they're just "entrepreneurs." (Giggling.) FYI: Prostitution is not illegal in France, although being a pimp is. I saw tons of wig stores and nail salons that were PACKED (like sardines) and also doubled as braid places. I bet I could've gotten my dreads done, but I had fashion on the brain, so it was a no go. Lots more Brown people: African, Morrocan, Asian, etc. It was neat and quite a spectacle.
3 blocks in the other direction and you're in High Fashion Land. Go figure.

Friday, October 3

Ummmmm. Surely this is heaven. To make a long story short, yesterday, I went to my first fashion trade show in Paris (it is called Premiere Classe and they were celebrating 20 years). It was at Tulieres Garden, and yes it's as pretty as the picture. If you haven't had a chance to check out my Facebook page to sneak a peek at the photos I've taken, then I'll be sure to show them to you when I get back. They certainly tell the story. Not only were there 3 tents of accessories and Prêt-à-Porter (ready to wear), across the street at the Westin, there was even more! Vera Wang (!) had a suite!
After the shows, James and I hung out at Place Vendôme and Rue Saint-Honoré where we window shopped. Yes, window shopped. This is like the Beverly Hills (times 100) of Paris. I intentionally did not go into Miu Miu because I saw some boots in the store window with my name on them. "I have boots. I have boots." I kept telling myself. Wow.
So we took the Metro back home (and this lady told me how much she loved my hair...I was wearing a pretty peacock feather) and as tired as we were, we went to Leon's and had mussels for our last night in Le Marais. How I will miss this apartment and the clean streets (they wash them down EVERY DAY (take note, Oakland!) and the hot churros made to order and the rude stares and the friendly faces and the unique boutiques and the elevator that says it's for 3 people, but only fits 2.



(Above) Making a silly face, but wearing a beautiful peacock feather.

Saturday, October 4
While it is Saturday morning here, you are all probably asleep or just getting in from a wild night (LOL). My husband just got back from picking up the rental car. The deposit was 1600 Euro; okay, that's approximately $2500US for a deposit. AND, he had to pay for the rental in advance as well! I will not use profane language in this space to express myself. But, dang.


Anyway, we're off to the country for the second part of our journey and I am sooooo excited because my husband's family is fantastique! We're going to stop at the outlets - La Vallée Village Outlet Shopping - so I can see what I can see and buy what I can buy. But I already have two stuffed duffel bags of stuff for the store, so I have no idea where anything I might buy will go at this point. Uh, I'll work it out.
Well, let me go finish packing. It's time to goooooo!

A bientôt!
Your local shop girl,
Tracey

No comments: